Sticky Mitts Bread is about Real Bread, made by hand and available to you fresh from the oven.
Taste the difference!
All the bread is made by hand, slowly fermented for maximum flavour, nutrition, and digestibility.
Made without added enzymes, enhancers or improvers.
If you cannot tolerate modern commercial bread, try mine. It could just be modern production techniques that are the problem. Bread made with organic flour from Cann Mills in Dorset, sea salt, and either baker’s yeast or my own sourdough culture (wild yeast).
What goes into my bread?
- Flour – from Cann Mill. They mill a range of organic flour of exceptional quality. Crucially it is milled slowly and with care in order to preserve the nutrients within the grain.
- Yeast – from Doves Farm in Hungerford. Their Original Dried Yeast was specially developed for artisan bread making. This is not the same as instant/fast-action yeast which contains additives.
Natural yeast (for Sourdough Bread only) – from the Sticky Mitts Kitchen. My own culture which replaces commercial yeast. This was the way all bread was made before we learned how to make yeast into something you can hold in your hand!
- Sea Salt – from the Salt Company in Cheshire. Their SeaSun Salt is naturally harvested from the Red Sea. It is washed in pure water and left to dry naturally in the sun. It contains trace elements but no iodine or anti-caking agents.
- Rapeseed Oil – from Priors Byne Farm in the Weald of Sussex. The whole process of growing, cold pressing and bottling their Sussex Gold Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil is carried out on the farm. A by-product of the pressing process is pellets which they feed to their own cattle. Rapeseed oil offers more health benefits than olive oil. It contains Omega-3, 6 and 9 and is a source of natural vitamin E.
- Seeds – from Munchy Seeds in Suffolk. The Gingerbread Girl 7-Seed Mix is a special blend for Bread Angels. A mix of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hulled hemp, sesame, poppy, linseed and flax. Where possible they source UK grown seeds but, due to climate restrictions, also source further afield. These are raw seeds which means that they have not been roasted or pasteurised, unlike many other seed blends. This is an incredibly healthy mix of seeds providing Omega-3, 6 and 9, essential fatty acids, zinc and Vitamin E.
- Molasses – from Meridian Foods in Hampshire. This by-product of sugar cane production is famed for its health-giving properties. Gram for gram, molasses contains six times as much calcium as cow’s milk and twice as much iron as liver. It is also rich in a host of trace elements, amongst which is chromium – said to be deficient in 90% of Western diets.
- Barley Malt Extract – from Meridian Foods in Hampshire. This by-product of the barley malting process has a lower GI index than sugar. It is a complex mix of carbohydrates, trace elements and vitamins often lacking in processed
Sticky Mitts is also a member of The Real Bread Campaign and their definition of real bread is
Real Bread is that made without the use of processing aids or any other artificial additives.