Here is a recipe for home-made “pot noodles” that are popular in class. The recipe is only a guide as you can use any mix of vegetables available. If you keep a bag of mixed diced vegetables in the freezer and noodles in the cupboard you can make these at any time! Be cautious with the curry powder or paste – you only want a hint of spice.
1 spring onion
1 small diced carrot
Handful each of frozen sweetcorn & peas
½ teaspoon curry powder or paste
60g medium egg noodles
1. Trim the spring onion and cut into fine discs.
2. Wipe the mushrooms and cut into small pieces
3. Peel the carrot and cut into dice (about the same size as the peas)
4. Bring a pan of water to the boil and tip in the noodles. Cook for about 4 minutes and then drain.
5. Wipe out the pan and add the oil. When it shimmers, add the onion and carrot. Cook for a few minutes to soften. Then add the mushrooms and curry powder/paste. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes until the curry powder smells fragrant.
6. Add the peas, sweetcorn and noodles and a splash of water to moisten.
7. Heat through for a few minutes and then serve.
Any kind of noodle works well although we prefer Sharwoods Medium Egg
Noodles. If you have a stock cube then dissolve this in the water before
cooking the noodles (for extra flavour).
Don’t cook the noodles too far ahead as they will stick together if allowed to