4 good quality pork sausages Small roasting pan (metal is best)
60g plain flour
150ml milk (whole or semi-skimmed)
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
Few thyme leaves, dried or fresh (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 220C/Fan 200C/Gas Mark 7
2. Put the sausages in the roasting pan and drizzle with oil. Roast for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Make the batter – put the flour, salt and a few grinds of pepper into a Mixing Bowl. Make a well in the middle and crack the egg into this. Add half the milk and mix with a balloon whisk until smooth, then whisk in the rest of the milk.
4. When the sausages are brown, add a little more oil (just enough to cover the base of the pan. Heat in the oven until almost smoking.
5. Pour the batter in the pan as quickly as possible and return the pan to the oven.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the batter has risen, is golden brown and crisp around the edges.
½ onion, peeled and sliced, 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar, 1 tablespoon plain flour, 150ml water, ½ chicken stock cube, ½ teaspoon wholegrain mustard, ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, a few thyme leaves.
Soften the onion in oil for about 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the flour, then gradually add the water, stirring continuously. Bring to a simmer, then add the stock cube, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and thyme leaves. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.